How Much Does It Cost To Remodel A Bathroom?
Bathroom Remodeling Costs
A bathroom remodel is one of the most valuable investments that you can make in the home. In fact, those who are looking to sell can expect to see as much as a 65% return on their investment (ROI) when they remodel a single bathroom in their home. An updated bathroom also makes the home much easier to sell.
Factors affecting the cost of remodeling a bathroom include the size of the bathroom and the type of upgrades you choose. The average full-scale remodel with mid-range materials is what we will look at for the sake of cost comparison. Generally speaking, with all materials and labor considered, bathroom remodeling costs around $125 per square foot. One final element that may affect the cost of your renovation is the current condition of the space.
Bathroom remodeling: 150 sq.ft. full-scale bathroom renovation with mid-range materials and minimal site prep.
|Materials, fixtures, and hardware||$10,000-$12,000|
Bathroom fixtures and related installation costs, based on national averages.
|Bathtub (standalone or combo shower)||$150-$5,000|
|Counters||$4-$100 per square foot|
|Flooring||$1-$100 per square foot|
Other considerations and costs
- If you choose a high-end walk-in shower or Jacuzzi-style tub, you could spend as much as $5,000 to $6,000 on the unit alone. Plus, installation costs will be higher for specialized work.
- Permit fees are not included.
- You can hire a bathroom designer to create a new bathroom design that is functional and still stylish. Their rates are between $50 and $160 per hour.
- Radiant heat in bathroom floors is growing in popularity and can be added at an additional cost of $500-$1,000 for the flooring installation.
- If you need accessible bathroom fixtures, you may pay a premium for ADA-compliant products compared to standard bathroom fixtures.
Check out our guide if you need a loan for your home improvement project.
- Bathroom remodeling is not for the DIY novice. Things like demolition, finishing details, and other aspects that you can handle may help you offset a few of the related labor costs, however.
- You should never do plumbing or electrical work in the bathroom. Because there is water near power, this work requires skilled professionals.
- Craftsman Estimator Costbook, complete series year 2019.
- Latest prices found on Home Depot and other vendor Web sites.
- Literature review of DIY Web sites.
Enter your zip code to get estimates
Cost by city
- New York, NY$28,915
- Bronx, NY$23,760
- Brooklyn, NY$19,803
- Philadelphia, PA$24,705
- Washington, DC$21,437
- Atlanta, GA$19,395
- Miami, FL$17,640
- Fort Lauderdale, FL$18,478
- Minneapolis, MN$21,677
- Chicago, IL$25,256
- Houston, TX$26,050
- San Antonio, TX$17,487
- Austin, TX$19,800
- Denver, CO$16,730
- Phoenix, AZ$17,651
- Las Vegas, NV$19,373
- Los Angeles, CA$21,828
- San Diego, CA$19,808
- San Jose, CA$23,926
- Seattle, WA$17,516
Local costs have been calculated by accounting for labor and material cost differences across different cities. To get accurate cost estimates, indicate yours: